Thursday, March 14, 2013

At this rate, settling in could turn into settling down

I can't believe that we have been in Cork for nearly a week already.

We seem to be starting to settle in now, but the settling-in process feels like it is taking forever. We have only been here six full days but this is typical for us - everything should work like clockwork, yesterday.

To be honest, everything is going more or less like clockwork. The entire project has gone smoothly from its inception, and this is in large part down to the flexibility and accommodatory nature of the people of Cork.

For example, when we very first discussed the idea of coming to Cork for a couple of months, we started looking for accomodation. At first it was difficult because we were looking for short-term rentals, and most estates agents only represent landlords who wish to rent for a minimum of 12 months (some 6-month rentals, but not many). Luckily, we found a short-term rental near Ballincollig and things looked good. Unfortunately, that particular property was not available until the summer, but the owner informed us that her father was renting his house close by. I called the guy, discussed the details, and we had a deal.

OK, so now we had a house, next we needed schools.

Now that we had a base from which to work, I simply Googled schools in the Cork area, found those that were relevant for our children and close enough to the house, and started to email them. The principals from the the schools I contacted got back to me basically with the reply, "No problem, we would be delighted to have your children in our school for a couple of months". Any parent knows that the equation is more or less as follows: Happy kids, happy parents!

No exception here.

If we could find nice places for our kids to go to school, then that would be a seriously big worry off our minds. It took literally just a few emails to set up the schools and that was it. On the first day of school a few days ago, were expected and greeted with a genuine warmth that really touched me. We left our kids happy in the knowledge that they were being made welcome and were in good hands.

This should not be understated. The security that feeling gave us allowed us to then concentrate on the stuff that brought us here in the first place. Like I said: Happy kids, happy parents.

Now, after less than a week, our children have already made friends in their respective schools, and my daughter has even been invited to two parties; she seems to take after her mother ;-)

My wife has been busy at the office, taking over the world, so I have had time to get to know the city of Cork.

When it became apparent that we were definitely going to have this Cork adventure, I decided that I was going to get the most out of it and to share whatever happens - good or bad - with anyone who is interested; hence this blog that you are reading.

But that is a little easier said than done.
It is easy to make yourself these promises from the comfort of your living room a thousand miles away from the place you are going to, but once you get there, you have to do it. You have to put yourself out there, talk to absolute strangers, tell them your story and hope that they are interested.
As the old adage goes, you only get out what you put in, and it is absolutely true, but after a week in Cork I can honestly say that however much I have put in, Cork has given back manifold. And there is one simple reason for this - the people!

Everyday I have wandered around the city centre blatantly making conversation with strangers. Maybe they think I'm just some English wacko, but I actually don't believe that. My feeling is that Corkonians are genuine folk, happy to exchange a freindly word with you. Whether the conversation has been about the weather, the price of whatever I was buying, my being English and living in Finland, or whatever, I have been made to feel welcome.

So, when the family gathers around the dinner table in the evenings to swap stories of the day, the talk is overwhelmingly positive. I am aware that we are still in the honeymoon period, but to have five different people tell how much they have enjoyed their day and the people in it is something
quite special to me, and I intend to savour these days and weeks in Cork.

In the first week, this little jewel tucked away on the south coast of Ireland has made a very good impression on me. And, let's face it, first impressions last.

What will my first St. Patrick's Day on the Emerald Isle have in store? I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds so lovely there! And it's great that the kids have adapted so quickly :)
    I love Ireland :)

    ReplyDelete